I'm a product and service designer with over a decade of experience, on a mission to create incredible products experiences with companies that aim to make a difference.
I started working as a designer a bit over a decade ago, when I got interested in creating websites and somehow managed to end up getting paid for learning how to do it. When I started, table layouts were what the cool kids were doing and both the
<blink> tag, as well as the "under construction" GIF, were still a thing. We were also called Webmasters and we did everything, learning the hard way — from figuring out user flows, through mockups, to implementing the whole thing. I always enjoyed the hands-on learning process and I strive to learning things by doing them to this day.
I like wearing many hats, both figuratively and literally, so I've been freelancing, working with product teams, interactive agencies and consulting for large corporates over the course of my career. I've touched pretty much every step of the product design process — from founding a startup, through customer research, experience and interface design, down to implementing the interface.
Most recently, I co-founded and lead product efforts at Lifetramp, a mentorship platform covered extensively by media all around the world, spawning its own national reality TV show and even a lesson plan for school kids.
I'm interested in freelance as well as part- and full-time product & design roles, both remote and in Berlin, Germany. Unfortunately due to family situation, moving for work is currently a bit tricky.
Because I dipped my toes in every step of the product development process, I feel most comfortable in the big picture view and figuring out customer-centric solutions to business problems, but I enjoy rolling up my sleeves and jumping into Sketch, Figma or code editor as well.
Over the years, I also managed a couple of product & design teams, so I have experience overseeing, managing and mentoring other designers. I'm a big fan of servant leadership and leaving the ego at the door.
I enjoy being on the bleeding edge of technology and constantly learning and acquiring new skills, so if you're looking for someone who isn't afraid of taking on new challenges, we definitely should talk.
Areas I thrive in
- User-centered product design, from conception to implementation
- Rapid prototyping, testing and developing ideas into fully fledged products
- Designing, managing and evangelizing visual identity guidelines and design systems
- Helping teams establish a lean — scalable, repeatable, measurable — design process
- Managing, mentoring and leading design and product teams
Areas I'm familiar with
Those are basically things I did before and can do, some better, some worse.
- Front-end development, especially on the design side (Sass, Less, PostCSS, Styled Components, creating scalable styling architectures with SMACSS, BEM, etc.)
- Just enough user research
Things I want to focus on in the future
- Building, mentoring and leading design teams
- Systematizing design, visual identity design systems and scaling design operations
- Product design for fashion, e-commerce, health and fintech products
- Data-informed, goal-oriented, measurable and iterative product design projects
Things I generally don't work with
- Illustration (I can definitely recommend hiring Vic, Laura or Lilla instead, though)
- Gambling, payday loan and other ethically questionable businesses
Roles I'm interested in
- Senior-level product designer or design lead / VP of design
- Multidisciplinary roles focusing on the following facets: design, product, front-end, user research, marketing and content creation.
Couple of things I worked on thus far
- Co-founding & leading product efforts at Lifetramp
- Teaching user experience & product design at AGH University of Science and Technology
- Working on product design & front-end development at Lilt
- Creating branding and user experience for Mumslink
- Building a design team and managing rebranding & redesign efforts at airfy
- Working with MING Labs on creating products and experiences for large variety of clients
- Creating brand guidelines, style guide, as well as overseeing big picture customer-centered product development at anynines
- Designing style guide and new branding guidelines for tracdelight, part of Burda Media group (owners of Elle, Vogue etc.)
- Designing initial version of ShopLove mobile shopping app that got later acquired by Burda Media group
- Working on user experience and user interface for the first ever version of Hive Bitcoin Wallet Mac OS app
- Leading product design at Kanbanery, one of the first-ever online kanban boards
- Working on creating user experience for a personal knowledge manager Second|Brain, internal knowledge management product of Making Waves
- Working on first-ever version of the interactive tourist destination map of Norway, for VisitNorway.com
- Designing intranet knowledge management tools for Norwegian government at Making Waves
I have experience speaking about product design, leading product & design teams. So far, I spoke at multiple conferences and meetups, including
- ParisWeb 2013 in Paris, France
- MobiConf 2014 in Krakow, Poland
- MOBX 2014 in Berlin, Germany
- RefreshConf 2016 in Tallinn, Estonia
- Polish Berlin Tech in Berlin, Germany
as well as countless other smaller meetups and conferences.
No proper landing page would be done without testimonials, so here you go:
Mariusz did an incredible job of taking a lot of different, seemingly unrelated, parts of our app and created an integrated design foundation for the whole product. He really focused on sustainable design and built us a style guide with components that we can use to grow the product over time while still maintaining the core vision.
— Danielle Chircop, Product Director, KITE – Kaplan International Tools for English, where I helped design & build an online learning platform for ELEVEN
Mariusz is so good at mentoring that in the 3 short months I could work with him, he kickstarted my career in a way no one else could 😍
— Timea Konya, Senior Product Designer at DOJOMADNESS, who I was lucky to hire and work with at airfy
Mariusz's help came at a critical time for me when I was learning more about the daily ins and outs of the product design career. He gave me well thought out visual critiques on my portfolio and also gave me the accountability that I would actually commit to making those changes. He was readily available to help answer any questions I may had and also provided abundance of resources that helped me keep learning when we were not face to face. Oh, he's also a big fan of Adventure Time, which is always a plus.
— Ye Heon Shin, Product Designer at Meetup, who I mentored back when he was a Design Intern at Oak Studios
Mariusz has an incredibly knowledge–based approach to design, that helped me as a CTO to easily get behind the framework he built for everything from brand to product. Whenever I need to decide which design angle is best for us, Mariusz asks the right questions to get me there.
— Arvid E. Picciani, former CTO at airfy, with whom we worked together at airfy
Mariusz was an important asset for our big redesign. His code skills makes him a great hybrid to work with. Extremely self-driven and effective, and takes decisions that are perfectly aligned with our product, which is, the single most important feature I look for in designers.
— Elin Aram, Lead Designer at XYO who worked with me directly during a large XYO UI overhaul
If that sounds like a good match for the role you're looking to hire for, let's talk!